Wednesday, November 28, 2007

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother...

I think that as inspiring as the Magic Kingdom, as puerile as Cinderella Castle is the way Roy and Walt Disney put the stamp of their personal relationship over the universality of everything they accomplished:
“Walt is not a genius, he is just my brother”. Roy would comment to the staff, over the years.
But whether he found Walt a genius or not, he, “As usual, finally came around, against his better judgment, and negotiated the deal.”
He did it for Walt, not for Walt’s genius. Thus, in his humble admission:
“If I contributed anything, I contributed honest management for Walt”.
Walt, on his turn, already in middle age, said, of Roy: "I don’t know what the hell I would do without him…”
Roy and Walt discovered, in the smallness of the particular, the immensity of the heart.
(The quotations are from Steven Watts "Walt Disney and The American Way of Life")

No comments: