Monday, June 29, 2009

Walt Disney Everlasting Presence


It was on a blessed afternoon I first went to the movies, still a five-
year-old, to watch "Sleeeping Beauty". The reality of the movie was much more pungent than that of the catechism’s hell. As scary as the devil of the catechism,
the dragon was, nevertheless, vulnerable. It was killed by a handsome
prince, who was in love with the most ethereal Disney princess. Evil
was eradicated by courage, romance and beauty, for the sake of love.
Rather than an after life conquest, the happy ending was reached for the
fulfillment of life at its fullest. Life as love.From then on, I was either in
heaven or in hell. Heaven was Disney. Like a preordained coincidence, the combination of fairy fantasy with the Disney language was the awesome turning of the real- from that which merely is- into what must
be. Th e feeling of transcendence it transmitted mixed a sense of relief
and justice. “At last!” is what I told myself, without realizing it. Like charms created by the blessed Disney industry, the stickers of Sleeping Beauty,
launched right after the movie, were swapped between my younger brother and I, passing from one avid set of little fi ngers to the other, as a transcendental mission
behind the torrential, shield-like rain that had my dreaded school
providentially called off on that unforgettable morning.
When I learned more about the man Walt Disney, I realized that to benefit from the message of his integrity was to bridge this world of material existence with that of spirit. Disney traded material security for the abstract value of being in good terms with himself. "I traded security for self-respect", he declared. This declaration is like a written proof of the existence of the soul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi... just happen to cross your site...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!